Carol Zelaya is a former nurse, recently widowed, and mother of two grown children. She grew up in the Chicago area, where she eventually met and married her husband and where they raised a family. Having relocated to Oregon in 1996, Zelaya began her love affair with nature and its beautiful creatures. Inspired by her surroundings, she started taking pictures and writing. Writing poetry led to writing three children’s books, of course, in rhyme. Zelaya’s Emily the Chickadee books are the true story of the special bond between a tiny bird and a little girl and the true meaning of family.
Carol is now moving to the San Diego area to be near her children. You can visit her online at www.emilythechickadee.com.
Title: Emily Waits for Her Family, Caring for Emily’s Family and Emily’s New Home
1. Where do you live (city, country)?
Oregon City, Oregon, just outside of Portland, but am moving to the San Diego area in October.
2. What is the weather like?
Beautiful summers, but lots of dreary dark wet days in the other months. The climate is mild and we do have 4 seasons. Everything up here is green year round.
3. Have you lived there very long?
I’ve lived in Ashland Oregon for 3 years, and the Portland area for the past 10 years.
4. Would you rather live somewhere else?
I think the climate and sunshine in San Diego suits me better, and that’s why I’m moving there next month, that and to live near my daughter.
5. Are you married or single?
I am widowed since November.
6. Do you have kids?
Yes, a daughter 33 years old and a son 29 years old.
7. Where were you born?
8. What was your childhood like?
Pretty ordinary, attending Catholic schools and living in the city.
9. What was it like growing up as a teen? What did you do for fun?
Movies and bowling, and dating of course.
10. Back to the present, what’s your favorite room in your house?
My bedroom where I keep my books, family photos and personal little treasured belongings. It is where I read and find relaxing peaceful moments.
11. Do you have an outside job?
No, just writing and publishing my children’s books.
12. What is your favorite thing to do on your day off?
Relaxing with my 4 little dogs.
13. What’s your most favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
Cereal or 0atmeal with blueberries and soy milk.
14. Do you have any pets?
4 little chihuahuas
15. Do you know your neighbors?
16. Pepsi or Coke?
17. Favorite time of year?
18. Favorite color?
19. Favorite book?
Gosh, no favorite…how can I ever pick just one?
20. Does your car look better than your house?
Not necessarily…they both look equally nice.
21. What’s on your mousepad?
A picture of a chihuahua
22. How many times do you let the phone ring before you answer it?
One time if I’m nearby, but if I’m not, I usually have to let it ring 4 times to get to it.
23. What’s the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?
My plans for the day.
24. Chocolate or vanilla?
25. Do you like to drive too fast?
Faster, but not too fast.
26. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal?
27. If you could meet one person dead or alive, who would it be?
28. What’s your favorite alcoholic drink?
29. What is your zodiac sign?
30. If you could have any job that you wanted, what would it be?
31. What’s under your bed?
Maybe a little dust
32. Is the glass half empty or half full?
Always half full!