• Authors’ Names: Bob and Kaye (Bob Brooker and Kaye O’Dougherty)
• Book Title: Football is for Lovers
• Genre: humorous non-fiction
• URL: www.footballforlovers.com
• To Buy Book: www.footballforlovers.com
Bob is an old saloon singer who, as Bobby Brookes, recorded for RCA Victor and Capital back in the day; Kaye has trouble carrying a tune in a bucket. Nevertheless, after they met at a recording studio on 42nd Street (yes: that 42nd Street), they began a decades-long partnership as Brooker and O’Dougherty, collaborating on a variety of theater, film, TV and video projects, performing, writing, directing, managing, and producing. Football is for Lovers, which can be found at www.footballforlovers.com, marks their debut as book authors.
1. Where do you live (city, country)? We’re perched atop the New Jersey Palisades, where we share the view across the Hudson River to New York City with a local family of red tailed hawks. Not to mention a veritable army of pigeons.
2. Would you rather live somewhere else? If we ever do move – and we’ve been thinking lately of checking out some sunnier climes – it would have to be near water. After decades of being delighted by sunrise over Manhattan, the reflection of city lights on the water, the boats drifting by like stars in the nighttime darkness, and the lights of the George Washington Bridge stretched across the river like a strand of diamonds . . . well, we’d at least have to have a puddle to look at.
3. What was your childhood like? We were both born back in Radio Days. Literally. It’s a time that no longer exists. When people start telling you how they acted when they were your age . . . well, really, they never were. It was a whole other world back then. No video games. No FaceBook. Just long summer vacation days of playing punchball in the street, maybe going over the hill to the baseball field . . . cutting across the neighbors’ backyards to make it home before the nighttime curfew . . . Sweet.
4. What is your favorite thing to do on your day off? Since we mostly work from home these days, we have no official ‘day off.’ But when time permits, we like to drive down by the river, sit with our coffee mugs, and watch the ducks and geese and assorted boats go drifting by.
5. What’s your most favorite thing to eat for breakfast? We probably shouldn’t admit this, what with today’s emphasis on healthy eating. But the truth is, we’re IHoP fans. Bob likes the Big Breakfast with bacon or ham and eggs over easy; Kaye’s into the corned beef hash, and, of course, both breakfast come with a stack of hotcakes. Hey, it tastes good!
6. Favorite time of year? Autumn. Some people see autumn as a season of ending . . . sort of the dying of the year. For us, it has always seemed more like a beginning. We met in October. But it’s not just that. There’s something about the new crispness in the air, the scarlet and gold of the leaves against the background of a sky more intensely blue than at any other time in the year. To us, it feels like a signal to begin – well, something!
7. Favorite color? Kaye’s favorite color is red. Which probably means she’s hot and passionate. Bob’s favorite color is black. We worry about that . . .
8. Favorite book? Actually, this is kind of funny. Sort of goes with our favorite colors. Bob’s favorite book is Taylor Caldwell’s Captains and the Kings. Kaye’s is Utopia.
9. Does your car look better than your house? Absolutely!!! The car is dusted and washed and shined to a fare-thee-well. The apartment, on the other hand, looks more like a warehouse with a bed in it. Files, books (hundreds of them), and boxes compete for air space with office equipment, piano, electric keyboard, bongos, guitars . . . and who knows what all else? With so much stuff piled up around here, we really can’t be sure.
10. What’s on your mousepad? Unlike the apartment, our three mousepads are wholly unadorned. They are a very basic – and, we like to think, classic – grey.
11. How many times do you let the phone ring before you answer it? Kaye invariably rushes to the phone and grabs it up as quickly as it can be grabbed. Bob let’s the phone ring until it gives up in exhaustion.
12. Do you like to drive too fast? This is something like the ‘favorite breakfast’ answer. Of course we know we shouldn’t. But yes, we do. Bob even raced cars for a while. Which may qualify us as professionally fast.
13. If you could meet one person dead or alive, who would it be? Given how far apart we’ve been on colors and books and like that, it surprised us that our answer here was the same: Jesus. There are so many different interpretations of what Jesus said that the words are often used to justify division. Which seems unlikely to have been their original intent, wouldn’t you say? Anyway, we’d both like to ask.
14. What’s your favorite alcoholic drink? Bob’s favorite is Jack Daniels on the rocks, soda back. Kaye likes Kettle One with a splash of grapefruit juice (for the vitamin C).
15. What is your zodiac sign? Seems we were born to lock horns. Bob is Capricorn, the Goat. Kaye is Aries, the Ram.
16. If you could have any job that you wanted, what would it be? Bob has been a singer for most of his life, and remains a singer at heart, so if he could, he would. But since his stroke a few years back, that ain’t gonna happen. Other than that, though, being a writer ranks as the New Number One. And for Kaye, it’s Old, New and Always.
17. What’s under your bed? Dust. And plenty of it.
18. Is the glass half empty or half full? Full. And much more than half!