Author’s Name: Shaila Abdullah
Book Title: Saffron Dreams
Genre: Women’s Fiction
Publisher: Modern History Press
Page Count: 248 pages
Shaila Abdullah is an award-winning author and designer, based in Austin, Texas. Her creative work focuses on the strengths and weaknesses of Pakistani women and their often unconventional choices in life. Her debut book, Beyond the Cayenne Wall, is a collection of stories about Pakistani women struggling to find their individualities despite the barriers imposed by society.
Among other accolades, the book won the Norumbega Jury Prize for Outstanding Fiction and the DIY Festival Award. Abdullah received a grant from the Hobson Foundation for her new novel, Saffron Dreams which is about the trials and tribulations of a 9/11 Muslim widow.
Abdullah has written several short stories, articles, and personal essays for various publications, such as Dallas Child, Web Guru, About Families, Sulekha, Women’s Own, She, Fashion Collection and a magazine of the Daily Dawn newspaper called Tuesday Review, etc. She is a member of the Texas Writers’ League.
A Pakistani-American, Abdullah is also a seasoned print, web, and multimedia designer as well. Visit Shaila on the web at www.shailaabdullah.com.
1. Where do you live (city, country)? Austin, Texas, USA
2. What is the weather like? It follows this pattern: Frigid, Wow, Warm, Scalding, Warm, Wow, Frigid
3. Have you lived there very long? 9 years
4. Would you rather live somewhere else? No, this is home
5. Are you married or single? Married
6. Do you have kids? One, 5 year old going on 11
7. Where were you born? The most reported city of all: Karachi
8. What was your childhood like? Blessed
9. Back to the present, what’s your favorite room in your house? Study or wherever I can take my laptop
10. Do you have an outside job? Oh yes, I am a designer for a nonprofit
11. What is your favorite thing to do on your day off? Spoil my 5 year old
12. What’s your most favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Dare I admit it? Hard-boiled eggs
13. Do you have any pets? None
14. Do you know your neighbors? Only the best ones
15. Pepsi or Coke? Neither
16. Favorite time of year? Spring
17. Favorite color? Blue
18. Favorite book? The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
19. Does your car look better than your house? About the same
20. What’s on your mousepad? I don’t use one
21. How many times do you let the phone ring before you answer it? Once unless I am planning to ignore the call
22. What’s the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? Thank God for another day
23. Chocolate or vanilla? Both. My guilty pleasure is Nestle’s Drumstick
24. Do you like to drive too fast? No, just safe
25. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? No
26. What is your zodiac sign? Scorpio
27. If you could have any job that you wanted, what would it be? The one I currently have
28. Is the glass half empty or half full? Always half full.
FREE GIFT FOR READERS
You can find a wealth of information on my website at www.shailaabdullah.com including a reading guide, excerpt, reviews, and buying information. For those with comments and questions, I can be reached at email@example.com. If you mention Home Sweet Home, you will receive a free e-book called A Taste of Saffron, containing recipes of dishes mentioned in Saffron Dreams. Readers who sign up for updates on my website will get a free excerpt of my 2005 book, Beyond the Cayenne Wall.
Thank you for playing The Home Sweet Home Writing Challenge for Authors! You can purchase a copy of Shaila Abdullah’s new book, Saffron Dreams, by clicking here!